Covered California Launches New Television Ad Campaign to Encourage Asian Americans to Save With Lower Health Insurance Premiums Provided by the American Rescue Plan
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Covered California launched a new television ad campaign on Monday to raise awareness in California’s Asian American community about the new financial help now available through the American Rescue Plan. The ads, which are in Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean and Vietnamese, highlight how 400,000 Asian Americans can now get lower health insurance premiums starting June 1.
“We are reaching out to California’s Asian American community to make sure that everyone in the state knows about the new and expanded financial help provided by the American Rescue Plan,” said Peter V. Lee, executive director of Covered California. “The new law provides the most significant consumer cost savings since the Affordable Care Act began and for some, it will mean hundreds or even thousands of dollars back in their pockets.”
The new ad campaign supports Covered California’s current special-enrollment period during which consumers can sign up to begin benefiting from these new savings. The exchange is investing more than $20 million in television, radio and print advertisements throughout the state to encourage people to check their options.
The television ads began airing today in California’s biggest media markets.
You can see the ads here:
Dr. Alice Hm Chen, Covered California’s chief medical officer, said data shows the importance of providing Californians with vital health care information – particularly in those communities that have been hit hard by the pandemic – such as California’s Asian Americans.
“We have seen how COVID-19 has disproportionately affected communities of color, including many who have forgone preventive and chronic care during the pandemic,” said Dr. Chen. “It is critical to ensure that all Californians know that quality health care coverage is more affordable than ever.”
Which Californians need to act now to benefit from the American Rescue Plan?
Covered California estimates the new financial assistance can directly help 2.5 million Californians, including more than 400,000 Asian Americans in the state, by lowering their monthly premium to levels never seen before. However, in order to maximize their savings, the following groups of people need to act now:
- Uninsured Asian Americans: New data shows that an estimated 83,000 Asian Americans in the state are uninsured and eligible for health insurance through Covered California, with an additional 71,000 eligible for no-cost Medi-Cal.(more)
Under the American Rescue Plan most of those eligible for Covered California would be able to get a high-quality health plan from one of 11 trusted name-brand companies for as little as $1 per month, or a plan that offers richer benefits for less than $100 per month (see Figure 1: Premiums Are Lower Than Ever for the Uninsured).
Figure 1: Premiums Are Lower Than Ever for the Uninsured
- Asian Americans insured directly through a health insurance company: An estimated 40,000 Asian Americans in the state are insured directly through a health insurance company, in what is referred to as “off-exchange” coverage, and do not receive any financial help. The American Rescue Plan ensures that everyone eligible will pay no more than 8.5 percent of their household income on their health insurance premiums if they are enrolled in an Affordable Care Act marketplace like Covered California. The new and expanded subsidies mean that many consumers will be able save hundreds of dollars per month if they switch and get their insurance through Covered California (see Figure 2: Off-Exchange Consumers Save by Switching to Covered California).
Figure 2: Off-Exchange Consumers Save by Switching to Covered California
In addition, the new law will also help about 284,000 Asian Americans currently enrolled through Covered California. Existing consumers do not need to take any action and should have seen lower premiums starting May 1.
Consumers Can Find Out in Minutes How Much They Can Save
Covered California is encouraging the Asian American community to check if they are eligible for lower premiums due to the American Rescue Plan. Consumers can easily see exactly how they can benefit from the new law at CoveredCA.com by entering their ZIP code, household income and the ages of the people in the household to see how low their premiums can be and the health insurance options in their area.
Those interested in learning more about their coverage options can also:
- Visit www.CoveredCA.com.
- Use the website to find local insurance agents or certified enrollers in community organizations who provide free and confidential assistance over the phone or in person, in a variety of languages, including Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean and Vietnamese.
- Have a certified enroller call them for free help.
- Call Covered California at (800) 300-1506.
About Covered California
Covered California is the state’s health insurance marketplace, where Californians can find affordable, high-quality insurance from top insurance companies. Covered California is the only place where individuals who qualify can get financial assistance on a sliding scale to reduce premium costs. Consumers can then compare health insurance plans and choose the plan that works best for their health needs and budget. Depending on their income, some consumers may qualify for the low-cost or no-cost Medi-Cal program.
Covered California is an independent part of the state government whose job is to make the health insurance marketplace work for California’s consumers. It is overseen by a five-member board appointed by the governor and the Legislature. For more information about Covered California, please visit www.CoveredCA.com.