Medi-Cal Benefits: Health
Medi-Cal provides a core set of health benefits, including doctor visits, hospital care, immunization, pregnancy-related services and nursing home care. The Affordable Care Act ensures that all Medi-Cal health plans offer what is known as “essential health benefits.” These 10 comprehensive services include the following categories:
- Outpatient (ambulatory) services.
- Emergency services.
- Maternity and newborn care.
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment.
- Prescription drugs.
- Programs such as physical and occupational therapy (known as rehabilitative and habilitative services) and devices.
- Laboratory services.
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management.
- Children’s services, including oral and vision care.
Take a look at the Medi-Cal health benefits chart to learn more about the services in each category. For a definition of any of the terms used, please browse the Covered California online glossary or the glossary at the federal site HealthCare.gov.
Edit this card
Edit this component
Was this article helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.