Training and Certification Steps for Agents Working for an Agency
Follow the five easy steps below to become a Certified Insurance Agent with Covered California and join an agency.
Step 1: Create an Account on CoveredCA.com
- Contact the agency to begin the agent account-creation process.
- The agency manager creates a new agent profile in their agency portal.
- Allow three to five business days for Covered California to validate your license with the California Department of Insurance.
- Your certification status is now set to “pending.”
- You will receive an email from Covered California’s Learning Management System (LMS) with login information to access the Certified Insurance Agent Training Certification.
Step 2: Complete Online Training Through Covered California University's Learning Management System (LMS)
Log in to the Learning Management System and select Covered California Certified Insurance Agent Certification Training, located under “My Courses” within the “Certification/Recertification” folder. Complete all online training courses within the curriculum.
- Please note: Your LMS username and password are different from your Covered California account username and password. Your LMS username is your email address. Also, our recommended browsers are Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Once you complete the online courses, select the “Certified Insurance Agent Certification Exam” and proceed to the exam. After completing the exam, you will be notified immediately whether you passed or failed.
- A passing score of 80 percent or better is required to move forward in the certification process.
- You have three attempts to take the exam.
Step 3: Submit Payment
- Within 3 to 5 business days after you pass the certification exam, you will receive an email from DocuSign® containing an envelope to pay the California Department of Insurance Endorsement Fee. Payments received are non-refundable.
Step 4: Non-Monetary Agreement DocuSign® Forms to Covered California
- Within three to five business days after your payment has been submitted, you will receive your Non-Monetary Agent Agreement via DocuSign®. Within the Non-Monetary Agreement, you must review and sign Exhibits A-E and complete the Voter Registration Training.
- Allow seven to 10 business days for the final paperwork to be processed. Your agency will be notified of your certification status, provided there is no missing information or errors in your paperwork.
Step 5: Complete the Account-Creation Process on the Covered California Website
- Your agency manager will receive a delegation notice containing a delegation code and the agency’s legal business name. Your agency manager will need to provide this to you once your certification status has been updated to “certified”.
- Complete the account-creation process through CoveredCA.com by selecting “Create Account” under the Certified Insurance Agent box and provide the required information. The following information associates the agent with the agency.
- Agency’s legal business name: The name must match what is on the delegation notice.
- The delegation code: The code must match what is on the delegation notice.
- Your license number.
- To finalize the individual agent account-creation process, you must log in using your new username and password.
- This allows the agent to be found on the “Find Local Help” page on CoveredCA.com.
- Bookmark the URL and create a username, password and PIN.
- Your profile is now public on the Covered California website, and you are now permitted to assist and enroll employers, individuals and families seeking health insurance through Covered California.
Note: You must establish and remain properly appointed directly with all the applicable carriers to avoid commission issues while you are Certified with Covered California. Please use the link below for information on how to contact the carriers:
We have created a checklist to assist you with our onboarding process: