Training and Certification Steps for Agents Working for an Agency
Follow the five easy steps below to become a Certified Insurance Agent with Covered California and join an agency.
Step 1: Create an Account on CoveredCA.com
- Contact the agency to begin the agent account-creation process.
- The agency creates a new agent profile in their agency portal.
- Allow three to five business days for Covered California to validate your license with the California Department of Insurance.
- Your certification status is now set to “pending.”
- You will receive an email from Covered California’s Learning Management System (LMS) with login information to access the Certified Insurance Agent Training Certification.
Step 2: Complete Online Training Through the Learning Management System
- Log in to the Learning Management System and select Covered California Certified Insurance Agent Training, located under “Upcoming Learning.” Complete all online training and certification exams.
- Please note: Your Learning Management System username and password are separate from your Covered California account username and password.
- Once you complete the online courses, select the “Agent Certification Exam” and then “Access Item” and proceed to the exam.
Step 3: Pass the Training Certification Exam
- You will be notified immediately whether you pass or fail after completing the exam.
- A passing score of 80 percent or better is required to move forward in the certification process.
- You may take the exam up to three times if you do not pass.
Step 4: Submit Payment and Non-Monetary Agreement DocuSign Forms to Covered California
- Within seven to 10 business days after you pass the certification exam, you will receive an email from DocuSign with instructions to complete the Non-Monetary Agreement, pay the California Department of Insurance Endorsement Fee, review and sign Exhibit A-F, and complete Voter Registration Training.
- Allow seven to 10 business days for the final paperwork to be processed. Your agency will be notified of your certification status, provided there is no missing information or errors in your paperwork.
Step 5: Complete the Account-Creation Process on the Covered California Website
- The agency manager will receive a delegation notice containing a delegation code and the agency’s legal business name to provide to you once your certification status has been updated to “certified.”
- Complete the account-creation process through CoveredCA.com by selecting “Create Account” under the Certified Insurance Agent box and providing the required information. These three pieces of information associate the agent with the agency.
- Agency’s legal business name: The name must match what is on the delegation notice.
- The delegation code: The code must match what is on the delegation notice.
- Your license number.
- To finalize the individual agent account-creation process, agents must log in using their new username and password.
- This allows the agent to be found on the “Find Local Help” page on CoveredCA.com.
- Bookmark the URL and create a username, password and PIN.
- You can now assist and enroll employers, individuals and families seeking health insurance through Covered California.
Note: You must also be appointed directly with the Covered California health, dental and vision insurance companies.