Your Information. Your Rights. Our Responsibilities.
At Covered California, our philosophy is “Consumers First.” Every decision we make is based upon that fundamental principle, including how we collect, maintain and utilize your personal information. We want you to enroll with confidence and to be informed and empowered with regard to your personal privacy.
- We will not collect personal information from you without your knowledge or consent.
- We will allow you to inspect and correct your personal information.
- We will take any and all reasonable measures to protect the security of any personal information you provide.
- We will notify you if we ever suspect that the privacy of any personal information you provide may have been compromised.
Please click on the topic headings below to access additional Privacy Office-related information.
Access and Inspect Your Records
You have the right to access and inspect any record containing your personal information at any time. If you would like to access and inspect your Covered California records, please either:
- Log into your online account for immediate access, or
- Contact the Covered California Service Center at (800) 300-1506; or
- If you are unable to access the information you need, submit a written request by downloading and submitting the form below.
- “Request to Access and Inspect PII Records” Form (PDF)
Amend or Update Your Records
You have the right to request an amendment or update of any of your personal information which Covered California may have on file at any time. To ensure that you are able to amend and update your personal information in a timely manner, we strongly recommend that you access your records via one of the first two methods below.
- For immediate access, log into your online account.
- For additional help, contact the Covered California Service Center at (800) 300-1506 for assistance.
- If you prefer, you may also download and submit a written request to the Covered California Privacy Office. Your personal information will be updated within 30 days of receipt. If we are unable to grant your request, you will be notified within 30 days, and we will provide you the contact information needed for you to request a review of this decision.
Request Preferred Communication
You have the right to specify how you would like Covered California to contact you should we need to do so or to update your preferred method of contact at any time. Should you wish to do so, please:
- Log into your online account.
- Contact the Covered California Service Center at (800) 300-1506 for assistance.
Obtain an Accounting of Disclosures Regarding Your Personal Information
You have the right to obtain a report from Covered California that identifies any disclosures made of your personal information to third parties. This report will identify the date your personal information was disclosed, the person or agency to which it was disclosed and the purpose of the disclosure. If you would like to request an accounting of any disclosures made of your personal information, please download and submit your written request to the Covered California Privacy Office.
Authorize the Release of Your Personal Information or Appoint an Authorized Representative
You have the right to authorize the release of your personal information to a third party. You may also have the right to request the release of someone else’s personal information, provided you can demonstrate that you have legal authority to do so.
If you would like to authorize the release of personal information either on your own behalf or on behalf of another person, please download and submit a copy of the request form.
File a Complaint if You Feel Your Privacy Rights Have Been Violated
If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, please download and submit a copy of the Covered California Privacy Complaint Form, and we will review and respond to your complaint as soon as possible.
- “Privacy Complaint” form (PDF)
- “Privacy Complaint by a Parent, Guardian, or Personal Representative” form (PDF)
Please note that you will never be retaliated against for filing a privacy-related complaint and your decision to file a privacy-related complaint will never affect your eligibility for health care coverage or Covered California services.
For non-privacy related complaints, please download and submit a copy of the standard Covered California Complaint Form (CCFR902).
Notify Covered California About the Death of an Enrolled Consumer
To notify Covered California about the passing of an enrolled consumer, please download, complete and return the form below that best addresses your situation:
- Courtesy Notification of Deceased — Please complete this form to provide Covered California with a courtesy notification for the deceased enrollee.
- Notification of Deceased by an Enrolled Member — Please complete this form if you are listed on the account and wish to report the death of the primary account holder or another enrollee listed on the account.
- Notification of Deceased by an Estate Representative — Please complete this form if you have legal authority to act on behalf of the deceased consumer’s estate.
Opt-out of the Covered California Healthcare Evidence Initiative
Covered California’s Healthcare Evidence Initiative uses data to improve the patient experience of care, and lower costs for consumers. If you are currently enrolled in a Covered California qualified health plan, you may request that information about you and your household members not be used for Covered California’s Healthcare Evidence Initiative. While the Healthcare Evidence Initiative is designed to ensure that information about you remains anonymous, your decision to opt-out will prevent information about you or your household from being used for this purpose. Your decision to opt-out will not in any way affect your coverage or your right to receive services through Covered California. Opt-out requests will take effect in the month after they are received from Covered California, and remain in effect for the consumer’s case ID into future years. If you’d like to opt-out of the Healthcare Evidence Initiative, please download and submit the written request below.
- Opt-Out of the Covered California Health Evidence Initiative (PDF) – Please complete and submit this form if you would like to opt-out of having your household information used for the Covered California Healthcare Evidence Initiative.
Contact the Covered California Privacy Office
By email: PrivacyOfficer@covered.ca.gov
By phone: (800) 889-3871. (Please leave a message with your name and phone number.)
By U.S. Mail:
1601 Exposition Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95815