Proof of American Indian and Alaska Native Status

Submit a copy of one of the following documents.

  1. Tribal Enrollment/Membership Card.
  2. Authentic document from a tribe declaring membership for an individual.
  3. I-872 American Indian Card.
  4. U.S. American Indian/Alaska Native tribal enrollment or shareholder documentation.
    • Enrollment or membership document from a federally-recognized tribe or the Bureau of Indian Affairs. It must be on tribal letterhead or an enrollment/membership card that contains the tribal seal and/or an official signature.
    • Document issued by an Alaska Native village/tribe, or an Alaska Native Corporation Settlement Act (ANCSA) regional or village corporation acknowledging shareholder status.
  5. Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB) issued by the Bureau of Indian Affairs or a tribe, if the CDIB includes tribal enrollment information.
  6. Letter from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) granting a tribal exemption based on tribal membership or Alaska Native shareholder status.

Edit this card
Want to get started with Covered California?

Edit this component

Was this article helpful?

Thanks for your feedback.

thumb_up Yes
thumb_down No

Edit this card
Can’t find what you're looking for?
Please contact our customer support directly.