Health Insurance Company Quality Rating System
Covered California health plans are rated using members’ reported experiences with their plans. The system has one to four stars, with four stars being the top rating.
To assign the star rating, each health plan is compared to results for health plan in the western U.S. region. A four-star plan means the health plan scored in the top 25 percent of all the rated plans; a three-star plan scores between 50 and 75 percent of all plans; two stars means the plan is in the 25 to 50 percent range; and one star is for plans in the bottom 25 percent.
The California plans are compared to regional results for PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) network, because they most mirror the types of plans offered throughout Covered California.
- Region 1 - Northern California counties
- Region 2 - North Bay counties
- Region 3 - Sacramento Valley
- Region 4 - San Francisco County
- Region 5 - Contra Costa County
- Region 6 - Alameda County
- Region 7 - Santa Clara County
- Region 8 - San Mateo County
- Region 9 - Monterey Coast
- Region 10 - San Joaquin Valley
- Region 11 - Central San Joaquin
- Region 12 - Central Coast
- Region 13 - Eastern counties
- Region 14 - Kern County
- Region 15 & 16 - Los Angeles County
- Region 17 - Inland Empire
- Region 18 - Orange County
- Region 19 - San Diego County