Who can get a health plan through Covered California?
California residents who don’t have an offer of affordable coverage can get a health plan through Covered California.
In addition, most immigrants qualify for health coverage, including the following groups:
- Lawful permanent residents (green card holders).
- Lawful temporary residents.
- Persons fleeing persecution, including refugees and asylees.
- Other humanitarian immigrants, including those granted temporary protected status.
- Non-immigrant status holders (including worker visas and student visas).
Both lawfully present and not lawfully present individuals can apply through Covered California to see if they are eligible for a health plan through Covered California or Medi-Cal with no “waiting period” or “five-year bar.” Immigrants who aren’t lawfully present do not qualify for a health plan through Covered California; however, they may qualify for coverage through Medi-Cal.
Edit this card
Edit this component
Was this article helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.