When will my coverage start?
Coverage will start on the first day of the month following plan selection for these life events:
- Needing coverage due to COVID-19.
- Losing Medi-Cal or job-based coverage (if you apply and select a plan before the last day of your Medi-Cal or employer coverage, your new coverage starts on the first day of the month after the loss).
- Marriage or registered domestic partnership.
Enrollment Deadline Coverage Start Date
February 28 March 1
March 31 April 1
April 30 May 1
For the birth or adoption of a child, or acceptance of a child into foster care, you can choose to have coverage start on:
- The first day of the month following the birth, adoption, or placement in your foster care of a child, or
- The date of the birth, adoption, or placement in foster care, or
- The first day of the month following plan selection.
For most other qualifying life events, the start date for coverage depends on the date of plan selection. If you enroll by the 15th day of the month, coverage will start on the first day of the next month. If you enroll after the 15th day of the month, coverage will start on the first day of the second month. For example, if you enroll on April 10, coverage will start on May 1. If you enroll on April 16, coverage will start on June 1.
The qualifying life events that follow this 15th-day-of-the-month rule include:
- Maintaining continuity of care for certain medical conditions.
- Enrollee or dependent is newly eligible or ineligible for financial help or has an Enhanced Silver plan eligibility change.
- Experiences domestic abuse or spousal abandonment.
- Gains or maintains American Indian/Alaska Native status (can change plans once per month).
- Is no longer incarcerated.
- Loses a dependent or is no longer a dependent due to divorce, separation or dissolution of domestic partnership.
- Makes a permanent move and gains access to a new Covered California plan.
- Newly gains citizenship, national, or lawful presence status.
- Returns from active duty military service.
Edit this card
Edit this component
Was this article helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.