County Children’s Health Initiative Program
The County Children’s Health Initiative Program (CCHIP) provides affordable and comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance for children who meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- Reside in San Mateo, San Francisco or Santa Clara County.
- Have a household income above 266 percent, and up to 322 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL).
- Are between the ages of 0 and 18 (coverage ends on the child’s nineteenth birthday).
- Are not eligible for a health plan that meets the requirements for minimum essential coverage.
- Are U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals or are lawfully present in the United States.
- Are not incarcerated or institutionalized.
- Have a Social Security number (with the exception of newborns with a pending application for a Social Security number).
If your child qualifies for CCHIP, he or she will be eligible for that program for 12 months regardless of an increase in household income. CCHIP eligibility can end if the child moves out of the county of coverage or fails to meet other eligibility criteria during the 12-month period, or if there is a reported income increase above 322 percent FPL at the end of the 12-month period.
In many families, parents will qualify for a plan through Covered California with financial help and their children will qualify for CCHIP. If parents decline CCHIP enrollment for their child, they will continue to qualify for financial help, but the child can only be enrolled in a separate, full-cost (unsubsidized) plan through Covered California.
The Covered California application will tell you if your child qualifies for CCHIP coverage. Covered California will refer your information to the CCHIP program office in your county, which will enroll your child in coverage. The program office may request documents or information to complete your child’s enrollment before coverage can begin. If you have questions about CCHIP enrollment, contact your county office.
|San Francisco County||San Mateo County||Santa Clara County|
|Contact Your County Office||
San Francisco County
San Francisco Healthy KidsIn-Person Assistance:
7 Spring St. San Francisco, CA 94104
(415) 615-5700Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:30 pm
Santa Clara County
San Mateo County Health Coverage Unit
Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
San Mateo County
Children’s Health Initiative
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm