American Rescue Plan FAQs

How much financial help will I get?

Most people who enroll with Covered California will save money on their monthly payments due to new federal money being available. In addition, because the law raised income limits and caps what most consumers will have to pay at 8.5 percent of their household income, people who are already enrolled in a plan through Covered California will save an additional $119 a month on average. That’s $1,428 a year in savings.

If you’re uninsured or purchased your plan directly through a health insurance company, you can check how much you might save by using our calculator or by completing an application. Get more information on what counts as income here.

Don’t wait to enroll. The faster you enroll, the more you could save.

What if I have health insurance through COBRA?

If you are losing your government or employer subsidy for COBRA coverage on or after Sept. 30, 2021, Covered California considers this a qualifying life event. This means you can apply for coverage and have it begin on the first of the following month. Learn more about how special enrollment works.

I’m already enrolled through Covered California. Do I need to do anything to get the new money?

Some do and some don’t. You don’t need to do anything if you are currently enrolled through Covered California and already get help paying for your plan. If you are enrolled through us but have opted out of getting financial assistance, you need to take action to get the new help that may be available to you. Sign in to your account and either update your application to add your income, family size, and other tax information or select “Report a Change.” When prompted, select “Yes, I would like to see if I qualify for help from one of the available programs to see the savings you could get.

What if I purchased a plan from a health insurance company directly, not through Covered California?

The new money is only available through Covered California until Dec. 31, 2022. You could save hundreds of dollars per month if you switch to a plan through us. If you are enrolled with an insurance company that offers coverage through Covered California, you can stay with that same company and even select a plan that is identical to the one you have now. And, money you’ve already spent on your deductible could be carried over to your new plan.

I’ve been enrolled in Covered California since earlier this year. How do I get this new money?

We’ll calculate the new money you can get for previous months of coverage and use it to reduce your future monthly bills. You don’t need to ask for a refund from your health insurance company or wait until tax time to see your savings. In addition, if you didn’t receive the maximum amount of new money allowed during the 2021, you could be eligible for a credit or refund when you file your 2021 federal income tax return.  It’s important to know what counts as income so you don’t have to repay any financial help received.

What if someone in my household gets unemployment benefits?

If the primary tax filer or their spouse has qualified for or received Unemployment Insurance benefits for at least one week in 2021, the household will automatically qualify for an Enhanced Silver plan that provides additional help with copays and deductibles, all for a monthly premium as low as $1 per each enrollee. This benefit ends at the end of 2021.

Edit this card
Use our quick calculator for an estimate.

Edit this component

Was this article helpful?

Thanks for your feedback.

thumb_up Yes
thumb_down No

Edit this card
Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact our customer support directly.