General Hardship Exemption

If you have a general hardship that prevents you from getting health coverage, you can apply for a general hardship exemption.


The hardship you experienced included one of the following reasons:
  • Appeals decision shows eligibility for enrollment through Covered California when not actually enrolled.
  • Bankruptcy.
  • Death of a close family member.
  • Domestic violence.
  • Evicted in the past six months or is facing eviction or foreclosure.
  • Experienced homelessness.
  • Medical expenses that resulted in substantial debt.
  • Medical support order.
  • Natural disaster (i.e. fire, flood, or human-caused disaster).
  • Unexpected increases in necessary expenses or decreases in household income due to divorce/separation; unexpected or sudden disability; or caring for an ill, disabled or aging family member.
  • Utility shut-off.
  • Other (granted on a case-by-case basis).

What You Will Need to Apply

You will need the following information for all household members:

  • Date of birth.
  • Social Security numbers (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN), if you have one.
  • Proof to support your claim of hardship.

Apply for Exemption

Edit this card
Want to get started with Covered California?

Edit this component

Was this article helpful?

Thanks for your feedback.

thumb_up Yes
thumb_down No

Edit this card
Can’t find what you're looking for?
Please contact our customer support directly.